CapTel 840i Amplified Captioned Telephone (840I)
The CapTel 840i is as simple to use as a traditional telephone, with an added benefit - your phone conversations are captioned.
The CapTel 840i uses your existing phone service* combined with a high-speed Internet connection to deliver captions on incoming and outgoing calls. One-year warranty.
Easy to Use
Make and receive calls as usual, while reading captions on a bright, five-inch screen that's fully adjustable for optimum viewing.
CapTel service is available in all 50 US States and captions are available in English and Spanish through Hamilton CapTel. They also offer a technical support line.
* Both high speed Internet and landline telephone service are required. CapTel works with phone connections to standard wall-phone jacks or the phone-out port of cable company modems, DSL modems or VoIP modules. View Installation Guide
How CapTel 840i Works (Video)
- Captions appear automatically on all calls - incoming and outgoing.
- Captions can be turned on or off at any time in a call.
- Large, easy-to-read captions window with adjustable font sizes and colors
- Display viewing area: 4.5 inches W x 3.5 inches H
- Display screen tilts for comfortable reading or lies flat to mount the phone on a wall.
- Adjustable volume control (up to 40dB gain)
- Adjustable tone control
- One-touch access to CapTel Tech Support Line
- Easy-to-follow menu system with Yes/No questions
- Phone Book allows you to easily store and dial more than 95 names/phone numbers.
- Speed dial keys for one-touch dialing of frequently called numbers.
- Caller-ID capable - shows you who is calling directly on display screen.
- Large buttons make dialing easier
- Captions available on calls within the United States only
- 2.5mm jack for optional headset
- 3.5mm jack for optional neckloop
- Hearing aid compatible
- Wireless connectivity
- One-year warranty
What is in the box:
- CapTel 840i telephone
- RJ11 telephone cord
- AC power adapter
- Ethernet cable
- CapTel Setup Guide
- CapTel How-to Guide
- Warranty card
The CapTel telephone is intended for use by people with hearing loss. People who do not require captioning support for their telephone communications should only use a CapTel telephone with the CAPTIONS feature turned off. In purchasing this phone, you acknowledge that it is intended for use by a person with a hearing disability and you agree that it will be used appropriately for that purpose. Use of the CapTel phone for any other purpose is prohibited.
The CapTel 840i is designed for use within the United States (including Hawaii and Alaska). International calling is not supported.
VCO - Voice Carry Over Telephone by Clarity (VCO)
Becoming increasingly harder to hear people over the telephone? The Dialogue VCO amplified telephone allows you to read the caller’s words on the included display screen via the Relay Service (dialing 711 in the USA). This works in unison with the VCO’s 30+dB adjustable amplification. The telephone also features a text answering machine in addition to the adjustable tone and volume controls.
The Dialogue VCO is similar to the rest of its Dialogue XL family with the streamlined housing and simple design, but this particular phone gets rid of the dual functions on buttons allowing for much greater convenience and a less-crowded design.
The phone itself is great for individuals who are deaf or have profound hearing loss but can talk as normal. A one-year manufacturer’s warranty is included with a 30-day trial period in order to gauge whether the phone fulfills your needs.
The Dialogue VCO shines when used for Voice Carry-Over (VCO) calls through Voice Relay (which may be called something else in different countries). Here’s a video that shows how VCO calls work, assisted by the National Relay Service from Australia.
Video Demo of a Voice Relay Call
- Bright, large letters displayed on the lighted LCD screen
- 3-1/4-inch x ¾-inch screen size
- Records text messages while unavailable
- Big, high-contrast buttons
- Programmable relay service memory dialing
- Adjustable super loud 85 dB ringer
- Visual ringer for those with hearing problems
- 6 programmable memory dialing buttons
- Last number redial
- FCC approved
- One-year warranty included
Will this telephone work in my country?
Attention international shoppers:
Please consult our Guide to Phone Jack Converters to find out if you'll need any type of plug adapters or telephone conversion jacks.